Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rose Petal Jam

To me nothing tastes better than homemade jam on warm toast with coffee on a cool fall morning. That little hint of spring as winter approaches. Jam making is a messy process; well it is for me anyway, so I like to make several batches at a time. After perusing jam recipes on the internet I concluded that I would like to change up an old favorite and add a new recipe to my jam making process this year.

We have a hedge of wild yellow roses that borders our yard. They are magnificent when they are in full bloom, but they only last a very short time. They are prolific and it has always seemed a shame that all of the beautiful petals should go to waste. I have never eaten rose petal jam but it sound decadent and worth a try.


I made traditional rhubarb, strawberry jam (my favorite) but this year I added rose petals to the mix.


The lemon rose is new to my repertoire. It has a  distinctive sweet and sour flavor and a yummy golden hue.


And a family favorite raspberry

I found a recipe for dandelion jam which I think I will try next. That is, if I can collect enough dandelions.

Update...sheesh maybe I should learn to use spellcheck more often...

3 comments:

Gabriela said...

Sounds delicious! My Mom used to make rose petal jam! Can you share the recipe??

Julie said...

Nice! You didn't mention it, but I am sure baby Neil was a huge help (wink, wink). You're amazing!

DVArtist said...

Wow the jams look great!!! When I lived in N. Idaho I made my own jams and jellies. Just walked out into my wooded back yard and picked what ever I need.
I miss that.
Nicole/Beadwright