Sunday, October 24, 2010

I Never Claimed I was a Milliner


My hat making skills leave much to be desired. I am working on a costume for a masquerade ball that is happening at the end of this month. I decided to add a hat to my costume. I visited the local costumer and looked for a hat to decorate. Unfortunately for me, I have a VERY small head. Nothing fit. So I had this bright idea of making my own. When I worked for the Civic Theater in the costume department, many years ago, I was asked to create some very simple, clip in the hair, hats. It should be easy, right. Not really. I put pencil to paper and drew up some plans. After many stops and starts, this is what I created. My mother would call this a 20 pacer. Good thing the ball is being held in a darkened room.




The basic hat construction is out of poster board. The velvet came from a second hand skirt and the feathers were pilfered from a feather duster. I think the overall look turned out well, just don’t get to close.

Originally I was going to add two large bird wings to each side of the hat, but at the last minute I changed my mind. I thought they might be too heavy and would collapse the hat.

7 comments:

Julie said...

WOW!!! That is FABULOUS!!! I can't hardly wait to see the complete costume!!! FABULOUS!!!

Shelley Noble said...

I really thought it was a real hat in the photo until you revealed what you had made it from. I think you've done an excellent job of it! Have fun!

Regina said...

OMGOSH...it's AWESOME!!! You will be the hit of the ball.

Hugs,
Regi

julietk said...

It looks fab from here, I too am interested to see the complete costume :-)

Ruthie Redden said...

Beautiful, it looks fab, and who will be inspecting too closely. Have fun! Hats are something i have never tried!

Linda said...

Beautiful, love the feathers!

Julie said...

I swear, you need a photographer to follow you around! Where are the costume photos to follow? Don't tell me the hot buttered rums came around before the photo shoot!? ... I hope it was fun anyhow :)