Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Felt Skull Flag

The One World, One Heart event ate up a lot of my free time, no complaints, as it was a fun ride. With my life now back to a somewhat routine schedule (as much of a routine as a 2 year old will let me) I have been able to get back to work. For several months I have started jewelry projects and not been able to finish many of them. So for right now my jewelry making is on the back burner. I am waiting for my jewelry muse to inspire me; I think she decided to head south for the winter and left my fabric muse to take over. Here is something I just finished last night.
 
When I was in college I wrote my senior thesis on the use of the human skull as an art object. I started the paper with the decorated skulls of Jericho. From there I used many examples from around the world and throughout history. It was a very interesting subject and very informative. At the time there were almost no books written on the subject and I spent months collecting my data. I fell in love with this subject and now use the skull in a lot of my work. With the popularity of such holidays as Dia de los Muertos and the spread of Goth culture, the skull has become a mainstream image and has lost some of it magic on the populace. With that said I still think the skull is an amazingly powerful symbol and will remain so as long as humans roam the earth.

7 comments:

DVArtist said...

I agree. I use the skull and animal skulls in a lot of my art. I would love to read your thesis? Still have it????

I love the felt bag.

Nicole/Beadwright

Theresa MacNaughton said...

How pretty! I love this. :) Theresa

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hi Jodi!!!
Wow girl, OWOH was something this year wasn't it!!! Lots of fun, that's for sure.
Now you can get back to creating all of that gorgeous jewelry and whimisical things like this flag and that cape!!! Too cute!
Thank you for being one of my newest followers. I didn't get the chance to enter many OWOH participants as we are still celebrating the Saints and I was too busy with Mardi Gras too! Now that all that is over, maybe I can get back to "normal"...whatever that is around here! haha
Just wanted to pop in and meet you and say hello to my new friend!!!
everything vintage

Julie said...

But, MY what beautiful decoration you will have up this fall for Day of the Dead! It sure makes me miss you and wish that we could throw another party. I LOVE this flag! I LOVE the YOU that is in it my creative friend!

Sea Gypsy said...

I love the design and the colors you used! I am also glad to get back to my regular routine. I love OWOH, but it is work trying to meet everyone, but so much fun. This is my second year participating and I will do it again next year. Your jewelry is just beautiful!

Sadie said...

I love the skulls!!

Sadie@
nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

Nar said...

I love this. I love El Dia de los Muertos artwork. I must try my hand at making one of these. Rather, I'll design it and see if my mom can help me, as I can't sew for beans!