Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Midwinter Gifts

Every year at Midwinter Solstice I gather with a group of women friends. I have always tried to give affordable handmade gifts and this year was no exception. This summer my family spent several days at the ocean. While there, I gathered jasper from the beach. I got some of the most incredible stones. Jasper comes in a wide variety of colors. The beach where I gathered these stones tend to be covered in red jasper, but I also found yellow and green. After a light polishing, the stones natural beauty shone through.



I wanted to make little drawstring bags to put the stones in, so I went digging through my immense supply of fabric. Years ago I saw this fabric and fell in love with it. I bought several yards of it hoping that I would someday find a purpose for it.


After some cutting and sewing I transformed the fabric into little bags that were the perfect size to hold the jasper.


No comments: